Friday, April 19, 2013

Logistical Stuff


I’ve decided to share my vast knowledge concerning French traveling since I’ve been doing research like a mad man the past few weeks.  In preparation for open trips, which I’ve now decided to opt out on, I’ve been looking up hostels, rentable apartments, plane/bus/train tickets and travel tips!  I’m frustrated that I spent so much time researching and have no outlet for all my new gained information! Luckily, some day I want to backpack Europe and everything will be quite useful then.
**I can recommended that if you are planning on traveling by train for 4 or more days in France than you should buy a France Rail pass.  It’s only good within the borders of France, but you can take as many trains as you want in one day.  It counts the amount of time you travel by the days and not by trains!  The youth pass is $118 for four days of travel plus $11 for each train reservation.  This verses the $250 round trips that you find is an amazing steal!
My favorite websites
Trains: raileurope.com
Planes: easyjet.com
Hostels: hostelworld.com/hihostel.com/airbnb.com (not hostels but peoples apartments) the only problem with airbnb is that they require a deposit…which you get back but still I’m not wanting to be out $600 even for a couple days.

For our trips we were deciding between Provence, The French Riviera, and Lyon. I also started researching Colmar, Strasbourg and Champagne.  Each of these places is unique and beautiful. When we presented our original trip itinerary to our Professor with plans to go to Marseille, he told us it was a bad idea. His council was “not the prettiest place and definitely not the safest.”  If you don’t know much about Marseille, it was dubbed the cultural capital of Europe in 2013.  It’s a huge ship port and center for commercial production in France. Its known for this beautiful port:


And is the place where Count of Monte Cristo takes place!  (Home of his Alcatraz-like prison).  
I’m going to Nice with my family so when we changed the trip to Nice, Monaco and Cannes I decided to sit out. 
Other great places I found during my research: I’m really in love with this Gorge du Verdon: 

Since I’m no longer traveling on my own, I’m excited to visit the sites near Paris. 
Such as Giverny!

My Mother passed on her love of impressionistic art to me.  I’m so excited to experience the beautiful Monet gardens!  With our group we are already going to Normandy, Loire Valley, and Versailles.  I just want to spend as much time as I can learning the language, being immersed in the culture and learning the streets of Paris.  I want to be familiar with every street, arrondissment and building!

No comments:

Post a Comment